Particle size analysis are routinely required by industries as a critical control parameter for raw materials, manufacturing processes and finished products. To fulfil this requirement of our esteemed customers, like you, we have installed the latest; Laser Diffraction based Particle Size Analyzer, the Malvern Mastersizer 3000, in our laboratory in New Delhi.
The System is equipped with both wet and dry mode accessories allowing the analysis of both powders and liquid dispersion. This new system has a large linear range of measurement from 10 nanometer to 3.5 millimetres allowing particle size measurements of diverse samples ranging from nano materials, right up to, coarse systems like pharmaceutical tablet granules.
Importance of Particle Analysis
Particle size and particle size distribution are amongst the most important physical properties of a particulate system, as particle size has direct effect on a number of material properties, some of these are listed below –
- Dissolution rate and bioavailability of pharmaceutical products
- Chemical stability of reactive or hygroscopic materials
- Physical stability of suspension and emulsions in pharmaceuticals, pigments and paints
- Flow properties of the powder and granules in manufacturing processes
- Efficacy of drug delivery system like inhalers
- Reactivity of chemicals and catalyst
- Texture and feel of food products, creams, ointments, cosmetics
- Appearance of powder coatings and inks
- Viscosity, especially in the case of sprays
- Packing density and porosity in ceramic
Common Techniques Used for Particle Analysis
Depending on the particle size range and the nature of data required (size and/or shape and/or surface characteristics) various techniques are available for the measurement of particle size. Some of the main techniques are listed below –
- Mechanical Dry or Wet Sieving
- Optical Microscopy
- Sedimentation Rate – using Andreasen apparatus
- Coulter Counter, which measures particle volume
- Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) – mostly used for the sub micrometre size range
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- Automated imaging
- Laser Diffraction – the principle used in Malvern Mastersizier 3000
Malvern Mastersizer based on Laser Diffraction is the Gold Standard for Particle Analysis
Laser Diffraction in general and the Malvern Mastersizer range of particle size analyser in particular are recognised as the industry gold standard for particle size analysis. They have gained the reputation because of the excellent accuracy and repeatability and reproducibility offered by the system as can be seen summarised in the table below.
Malvern Mastersizer MS3000 Performance Summary
|Accuracy||Better than 1%|
|Repeatability||Better than 0.5%|
|Reproducibility||Better than 1%|
|Red light source||Max. 5mW He-Ne, 632.8nm|
|Blue light source||Max. 10mW LED, 470nm|
Laser diffraction is accepted and prescribed by various Pharmacopoeias, ASTM, DIN, ISO and numerous other national and international standard methods for particle size measurements. It finds applications in diverse industries ranging from chemicals, fine chemicals, pharmaceuticals, food ingredients, food products, minerals, ores, and cement et cetera.
Arbro is one of the largest contact testing laboratories in India having two state-of-the-art laboratories and a team of over 200 skilled professionals. In keeping with our policy of “Offering the most technologically advanced portfolio of services to our customers” we have made this investment to expand the scope of our services based on feedback from our customers.
Contact us today for your particle sizing or any other contact testing requirements and we will provide you a customised solution. You can contact us know by using the quick query form on the right or call us now on +91-11-45754575.