The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India has issued a Trade Notice dated June 17, 2014 for those exporting basmati and non-basmati rice to Iran. APEDA notice states that the Government of Islamic Republic of Iran, Food and Drug Administration, Food Products and Beverages Assessment Department General have issued the Executive Instructions for the import of rice to Iran with effect from 21st March 2014. So Indian rice exporters must pay attention to the following:
- Source Registration Method
- Import & Clearance Permit
- Rice Discharge vide Code: FB-Pr-1392-002 dated December 18, 2013
A number of documents have to be provided by the applicants for export of rice to Iran so that they can register as the source for foreign rice processing and packaging factories without any problems. According to Iranian Executive Instructions, the applicant company must provide the following according to the format requested
- Written application
- Completed check-list of application for issuance of import health permit
- Articles of Association of the company to be provided by the importer
- Documents of Plant and Product Master File to be provided by production factory
- Certificate issued by the Legal Competent Authorities of the country of origin which includes confirming health and safety of rice, health and technical conditions of processing and packaging factory, permission for exports to the other countries from the country of origin to be provided by the producing unit
- One of the Food Safety Certifications approved by an authentic accreditation body which is sealed by the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran (ISO 22000: 2005 / HACCP/IFS/BRC). If none of these certifications is possessed, factory can be inspected by Inspection Team of Food and Drug Administration.
- Free Sale original certificate issued by the Competent Public Organizations, sealed by the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Beside the Exporting Public organizations, the certificate may be issued by the Production Factory approved by the Competent Public Authorities and sealed by Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Certificate of the Operation of Agency issued by Ministry of Commerce or Commercial
Registration of the Product and is to be supplied in Iran, by the importing company.
- Product Analysis Certificate is to be provided by the producing unit as per the latest requirements of the rice quality and health specifications.
- Notarized undertaking for ensuring health of the imported rice is to be provided by the
Importer as per the format.
- Two copies of the Persian label.
- Copies of receipt for product and source registration paid to be provided by the importer.
Important Note: In case of application by another company for registration of the product in a different brand from the source already registered, submission of documents 4, 5 and 6 is exempted.
Important Note – It is required to insert the specifications of Persian labels with tracking code of the product, and production series on the packages from the Country of Origin and the cargos without the specifications may not be cleared from the customs.
Import and Clearance permit certificates/documents
According to the Executive Instructions of the Iranian government the following documents and certificates are required for the issues of Import and Clearance Permit
- Health certification To be issued by APEDA (competent public organisation designated by Ministry of Commerce & Industry) on the basis of product analysis report issued by one of the approved labs.
- Phyto-sanitary certification to be issued by NPPO as per current practice.
- GMO Free certification to be issued by APEDA on the basis of confirmation by Ministry of Environment and Forest that no commercial trials are approved for rice in India.
- Phenol residual – free certification to be part of Lab test report.
- Adaptation of heavy metals and mycotoxins certification accompanied by details of the test results in accordance with the latest revision of National Standards of Iran under the No.13120. To be part of Lab test report.
- Not clear in the Executive instructions.
- Product analysis sheet from one of the APEDA approved labs.
- Copy of import health permit to be provided by Importer.
Important Note – Certificates 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 may be issued either jointly in one certification or severally as approved by the competent public authorities and organizations and Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
APEDA nominated as Competent Authority
Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India vide Office Memorandum F.No.6/2/2014-EP (Agri.IV) dated June 13, 2014 has nominated APEDA as Competent Authority to issue a consolidated certificate covering the following requirements:
i) Health Certificate
ii) GMO Free Certificate
iii) Phenol Residual Free Certificate
iv) Adaptation of Heavy Metal and Mycotoxin Certificate accompanied by details of test result in accordance with the Revised National standards of Iran under No.13120.
Exporters of rice from India to Iran are required to submit samples of rice from export consignments for testing to one of the laboratories recognized / approved by APEDA.
Format for Application to APEDA
Application for issue of certificate for export of rice to Iran as per Executive Instructions for Source Registration Method, Issue Health Permit for Imports, Importing Permit, Rice Discharge Vide Code: FB-Pr-1392-002 dated December 18, 2013. Exporters will submit an application to APEDA for obtaining various certificate in the format below accompanied with a payment of Rs. 2000/- per consignment/certificate. The payment will be made in favour of APEDA by Demand Draft.
|Exporter’s Name and Address|
|APEDA RCMA No and date|
|Importer Name and Address|
|Product of Export|
|Quantity of Export Consignment|
|Port of Origin|
|Name of the Laboratories issuing Test Certificates|
|No. and Date of the Test Reports (copies to be enclosed)|
|Details of Payment of Rs. 2000/-||DD No.||Date:||Issuing Bank|
A certificate will be issued by APEDA as per format given below.
This certificate is issued on request of the exporter M/s. ……….……. for export of rice to Iran in accordance with Executive Instructions for Source Registration Method, Issue Health Permit for Imports, Importing Permit, Rice Discharge vide Code: FB-Pr-1392-002 dated December 18, 2013.
- Health certificate:
As per the test report No. …. Date ……..issued by M/s. …… (one of the laboratories recognised by APEDA) product is fit for human consumption.
- GMO free certification:
No commercial trials have been permitted by Government of India from GM rice. Therefore, rice grown in India is GM free there is no cause of concern with regard to possible GM contamination of Indian rice.
- Phenol residual- free certification:
As per the test report No. …. Date ……..issued by M/s. …… (one of the laboratories recognised by APEDA, product is free from Phenol residue.
- Adaptation of heavy metals and mycotoxins certification:
As per the test report No. …. Date ……..issued by M/s. …… (one of the laboratories recognised by APEDA) product meets the standards prescribed by Iran for heavy metals micotoxins with latest revision of National Standards of Iran under No. 13120.
Agricultural and Processed Food Products
Export Development Authority (APEDA)
(Ministry of Commerce & Industry),
Government of India
Contract of Export
In case of export of Basmati rice, contracts of export will be registered by the exporter with APEDA in accordance with Trade Notice dated July 5, 2012 as amended from time to time.
Arbro Pharmaceuticals Limited is recognized by APEDA for sampling and analysis of food commodities for export testing and is competent to test samples for chemical, microbiological and GMO analysis.
The scope includes the following:
a) Residues of Pesticides, Drugs & Antibiotics, Heavy Metal contamination, Aflatoxin levels and Microbiological analysis in:
- Fresh Fruits and vegetables
- Processes fruits and vegetables
- Cereals (rice, wheat, maize) and their products
- Meat, poultry, dairy products and honey
- Other processed foods
b) GMO analysis in:
- Rice and rice products
- Soya and soya products
- Maize and maize products
- Cotton and cotton products
Arbro Pharmaceuticals Limited (Analytical Division)
4/9 Kirti Nagar Industrial Area New Delhi 110 015
Tel: 011-45754575, 9871700488 Fax: 45754545