The cosmetic industry is growth-oriented and multinational companies now sell their products in all corners of the world including India because India has a huge market for such cosmetic and personal care products. However, to ensure that these products are safe for consumers, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in India has regulated that for importing cosmetics in India a compulsory registration certificate is required
Here we will explain the procedure for issue of this compulsory registration certificate:
- Who can apply for the registration certificate?
Answer: The manufacturer or his authorized channel in India
- Where should the application form be submitted?
Answer: The application form must be submitted to the office of the Drugs Controller General of India under Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi both
- As a Hard Copy
- Is there any specific form for the application?
Answer: The application must be submitted
- in the prescribed Form – 42
- along with a cover letter
- receipt in original of payment of registration fees
- What should be the specifications for the application cover letter?
- It should be on the letterhead of the importer or the authorized agent applying for the registration
- It should be duly stamped and signed by an authorized person
- Will any acknowledgment be made for the receipt of the application form?
Answer: The office of the Drug Controller General will issue a copy of a duly stamped cover letter, which would act as an acknowledgment
- What is the registration fee?
Answer: USD250 or equivalent per imported product
- Where has the fee to be deposited?
Answer: Fee is to be deposited in designated branches of the Bank of Baroda
- How does a foreign manufacturer pay registration fees in a country of origin?
Answer: Through electronic transfer from any bank in the country of origin to the Bank of Baroda branch in Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi.
- Note: Proof of such payment would need to be submitted along with the application for registration.
- What is the waiting period before issuing of registration certificate?
Answer: Drug Controller General’s office would issue a registration certificate within six months from the date of submission of application.
- What is the validity period of the registration certificate?
Answer: The registration certificate would be valid for three years.
List of Documents Required for Registration:
- Particulars of the manufacturer and the manufacturing unit. It should include the name, address and contact information of the manufacturer along with the detailed address of the manufacturing unit. A short description explaining the business of the manufacturer should also be attached with the application form
- Proof of payment of the required registration fee.
- Particulars of the cosmetics to be registered. It would include the brand names of the cosmetics along with their category, variants and pack sizes to be imported for sale in India.
- Particulars of the manufacturing licenses/registration/marketing authorization if any, under which the cosmetics are being manufactured and sold in the country of origin issued by the regulatory authority of that country.
- List of countries where import permission of the cosmetic product has been granted.
- Names of ingredients as per international nomenclature of standard along with percentage contained in the product.
- Specification and testing method of the product.
- A specimen of the label.
- Information that the product has already been selling in India and the time period.
In order to have a hassle-free registration for imported cosmetic products, all applicants must ensure that they read through the procedure for registration and ensure that they have submitted all relevant documents with their registration application.
We have three states of the art laboratories in Delhi, Baddi and Bangalore approved by CDSCO ad routinely carry out testing of heavy metals in cosmetics and various other tests required for registration of cosmetic products in India for leading cosmetic companies, importers and traders.
Please contact us today using the quick query form on the right or by calling us now on +91-11-45754575 to get your food samples tested for additives.