Importance of Regulated Food Testing Laboratories
Although food product testing is done at the end of the food manufacturing chain, it is a highly essential process that determines whether the food is safe for consumption.
A food testing lab ensures that the food product doesn’t contain any physical, chemical and biological hazards or contaminants, such as metals, additives, pesticides, preservatives, cleaning agents, salmonella, e-coli bacteria, etc.
So, what do food testing laboratories test for?
Food testing labs perform the scientific analysis of different food products and their components before they are made available for public consumption.
As a part of their food testing services, the labs also provide information regarding the structure, composition, and physicochemical characteristics of the food. Some of the reasons why food testing is performed are as follows.
- To verify the manufacturer claims on the product components, safety, etc.
- For quality control purposes before, after and during the manufacturing process
- To ensure adherence to the laws and standards of food inspection and grading as per the FSSAI food license terms
- To enhance the quality, nutritional value and affordability of food products
- To dispel any rumours that label a particular product as unhealthy or hazardous
Procedures That Labs for Food Testing Follow
Several methods can be employed for food product testing and determining accurate information about its safety and nutritional value. Some of the common procedures are –
Sensory testing: It is a basic testing procedure where the food is tested through sight, smell, touch, taste and sound.
Nutritional analysis: This test is used to identify the nutrition composition of the food product and verifying it with the product’s label.
Analytical chemistry testing: Here, the components of the food are chemically separated and individually analysed for its pH, additives, colours, preservatives, contaminants, etc.
Microbiology testing: This test is used to detect microorganisms in the food that could contaminate it. Microbiology testing is done on the raw materials, ingredients as well as the end product.
Food Testing at Arbro
Having more than 20 years experience as a food testing lab, we offer a single point solution to all the food testing lab needs of industry for both domestic and export markets.
Or laboratory has been ranked among the top 5 national level food testing lab in India in a survey conducted by TUV-SUD for the ministry of food processing.
Our Food Testing Services
Our team of more than 250 professionals are backed by ultramodern food testing lab infrastructure and state of the art equipments. Contact us today to get customized solutions to meet your food testing laboratory needs, some of the key services offered are listed below –
- Analysis of Food as & Agricultural products as per FSSAI, BIS, EIC/EIA, APEDA & European (EU) standards, FSSA (Food Safety and Standards Act)
- Contract testing services to support your HACCP, ISO, GMP and GLP compliance.
- Analysis of residual pesticides, drugs and banned colorants in food products
- Microbiological analysis, detection and identification of pathogens
- Proximate analysis and nutritional labeling of food products
- Shelf life estimation of packed food
- Fatty acids composition and trans fat content
- Mycotoxins B1, B2, G1, G2, M1 and Ochratoxin in various matrices
- Analysis of drugs residue, mycotoxins and vitamins by ELISA Techniques
- MELAMINE TESTING services for a wide range of food products, agricultural products, raw materials and food ingredients.
- Residual Dioxine & Ethylene Oxide Testing by GC-HS Techniques
- Alcohols/Alcoholic Beverages Analysis
- Analysis of Grapes as per APEDA-RMP
- Milk & Milk Products Analysis as per EIC norms
- Spices & Condiments analysis
- GMO & Non-GMO testing by PCR/RT-PCR techniques
- Confirmation of animal & plant origin by DNA analysis using RT-PCR
- Adulteration of Basmati & Non-Basmati rice ( Variety Authentication )
- Meat adulteration and species identification
- Rapid detection of pathogens in food by using RT-PCR technology
- Testing for compliance to national and international standards using globally acceptable methods laid down by AOAC, ASTA, AOCS, CODEX, PFA, BIS, EU, USFDA
Contact us today to get customized solutions to meet your food testing needs.
1. How do you determine the quality of the food?
We determine the quality of food by several food testing procedures that include sensory attributes, physical properties, chemical composition, packaging and labelling, and microbiological and toxicological contaminants.
2. What are the different methods used for food product testing?
Some of the common food testing procedures that we follow are from FSSAI Methods manuals, BIS, AOAC, ISO, AOCS, AACC, USP NF, FCC and many are in house developed and validated methods. We can also use customer methods for the analysis.
3. Is the lab notified by FSSAI?
Yes, our food testing lab is authorized by FSSAI for testing food samples as laid down in the Food Safety and Standards Act.
4. Why is food testing important?
Food testing is important because it ensures that the food is safe for consumption and meets the quality standards laid down in various regulations. Food testing laboratories ensure that the food product doesn’t contain any physical, chemical and biological contaminants or hazards.
5. Is the lab NABL accredited?
Yes, our food testing lab is accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL).
6. Is the lab recognized by BIS, APEDA, EOC?
Yes, the lab is recognized by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority, (APEDA), and EIC. Please click on this link to view certificates of accreditations and approvals for our laboratories- https://testing-lab.com/about-us/accreditations/certificates/