In today’s day and age, brands are dealing with consumers that aren’t just smart but health and environmentally conscious too.
They are aware of the repercussions of poor packaging on the products they consume and how it impacts the environment and their health at large.
Owing to this awareness, businesses must focus on regular food packaging materials testing to ensure there’s minimal waste or non biodegradable materials used by reducing the net packaging waste and identifying solutions to become more eco-friendly and safer.
The right packaging also needs to ensure the safe delivery of the product through the supply chain.
If you;re a business owner in the food industry, we can help you navigate the world of regulation and compliance for food packaging.
Our food packaging materials testing labs can run the right quality tests to ensure that your food packing is safe and eco-friendly.
Parameters for Testing Food Packing
There are multiple packaging material testing aspects that you must consider while testing food packings like:
- The material should keep the food item safe, hygienic, and fresh representing the food creatively
- The printing shouldn’t fade out due to friction between materials surrounding the food item
- The seal should be leak-proof ensuring that the packet doesn’t burst
- The container used for food packaging shouldn’t puff out or leak
- The material should adhere to the guidelines listed by the FSSAI
Quality control tests for packaging material
The complete testing of packaging materials becomes much easier when adequate measures and appropriate tests are conducted. Here are the major tests conducted for the quality control of packaging materials.
- Edge Crush Test [ECT]
- Bursting Strength Test [BCT]
- Puncture Resistance Test
- Compression Testing
- Food Packaging Seal Integrity Testing
- Reduced Pressure Tests
Parameters that the Packaging Material Must Surpass
Here’s a quick overview of the parameters that the packaging material must surpass to be cleared for distribution:
- The packaging material should ensure an adequate barrier to microorganisms.
- The packaging material should be tamper proof, should pass the seal integrity test in a way that it can be sealed only once.
- The size should be ideal for wrapping to avoid gapping & billowing
- In case, the food will directly touch the food packaging material, the food packaging testing laboratory must verify and certify the packaging material being used
- Packaging materials like aluminum, plastic & tin should be tested for physical, microbiological and chemical analysis
- The gases used during packaging should not be toxic and shall not pose any health hazards for the community
- All food materials have to be tested from a food testing laboratory in cases of any suspicion or possible contamination before the food is made available for the sale
Why Arbro Pharmaceuticals for Packaging Testing?
Our food and packaging material testing lab/laboratory and professional team of scientists are experts in testing food packaging materials. We have a comprehensive range of equipments and our testing services include national & international methods for the evaluation of food packaging materials.
We offer consultation and testing on the requirements of the package materials as per IS – 9845, IS – 10171, IS – 15392. Our techniques include mechanical testing, chemical testing, microbiology testing, and evaluation of packed materials.
Please contact us today using the quick query form on the right or by calling us now on +91-11-45754575 for the testing of food packaging materials.